1. True or False: Low-income households spend the majority of their income on fixed expenses, such as rent and utilities, compromising their ability to afford healthy food.
True. Low-income households spent the majority of their income on fixed expenses such as rent and utilities.
2. In York Region, a nutritious food basket, which would provide one month of healthy eating for a single person on social assistance, would take up ____% of that person’s monthly budget.
39%. In York Region, a nutritious food basket would take up 39% of a person of social assistance’s monthly budget.
3. In 2015, what percentage of food bank users in Toronto were children?
32%. Last year, 32% of Toronto food bank users were children.
4. Of teachers polled, what percentage believe there are students in their classroom who come to school hungry?
68%. Of Toronto teachers polled, 68% of them believe there are students in their classroom who come to school hungry.
5. True or False: After rent is paid, the average food-bank client has $8.95/person/day.
False. After rent is paid, the average food bank client only has $5.83/person/day, making it nearly impossible to afford basic needs such as healthy, nutritious food.